Protecting yourself Chimpanzee Trekking or on a Chimpanzee Habituation Experience
What to wear while Chimpanzee Trekking or on the Habituation Chimpanzee Experience in Uganda
What to wear while Chimpanzee Trekking or Habituation Chimpanzee Experience? If you are going on a Chimpanzee Trek or the six-hour Chimpanzee Habituation Experience, you must wear the proper clothing and bring the right gear for your comfort.
What to wear while Chimpanzee Trekking? Chimpanzee Treks, Chimpanzee Habituation Experience, take place in tropical rainforests such as Kibale Forest, Kalinzu Forest, Semiliki, Budongo Forest in the Kyambura Gorge Uganda, and Nyungwe Afro-Montane Forest in Rwanda.
It may seem that one should wear clothing befitting the Tropics and not what we suggest.
When going on a Chimp Trek, look at what rangers and guides are wearing. There are no shorts, no T-shirts, no sneakers, and it is all about protecting themselves in the forest with long-sleeved shirts, long trousers, boots, Wellies – rubber boots, hat.
You are wearing the right clothes while Chimpanzee Trekking in Uganda or Rwanda will emphasize your Chimp Trek and not any discomfort you may have to endure if you are not wearing the proper clothing.
Things to Bring and What to wear on a Chimpanzee Trek
You will need a waterproof Daypack:
Chimp Trekking takes place in tropical forests such as Kibale Forest. It is best to protect your camera equipment, have a place for bottled water, and one liter for a regular Chimpanzee Trek or two for the chimpanzee habituation experience.
For the six-hour Chimpanzee habituation, you will need a packed lunch, plus snacks like dried fruit com that you can buy in local supermarkets and granola bars.
Daypacks are a must-have for Chimpanzee Treks. Chimpanzee Trekking is more accessible than a gorilla trek; a Trek is shorter, except for the habituation experience, but a daypack.
The Daypack comes in handy on a chimpanzee trek, especially if it is an all-day habituation experience since you need lunch snacks and bottled water.
What kind of Shoes Should I Wear:
Visitors to Uganda make the mistake of wearing sandals, flip-flops, sneakers, and shoes that are not sturdy for a Chimpanzee Trek over 3 hours long.
Hiking Boots that are waterproof or sturdy shoes are the best choice for hiking, trekking, or climbing in Uganda.
Wellies – Gumboots: Uganda Wildlife Authority Rangers wear Wellies – or Gum-Boots with treads. Cover your lower legs; they are easy to clean, and even visitors have started to use them.
The reason for waterproof boots is that chimpanzee treks occur in rainforests where it can rain anytime, typically in short showers, not just during the rainy seasons. Read more here.
What to wear while Chimpanzee Trekking:
The emphasis is on comfortable and protective clothing, which is dressed right for the occasion, which is Chimpanzee Trekking in a tropical Rainforest. Look at what rangers who guide you wear.
- Long Trousers: This is for your protection from thorns, brushes, nettles, and insects.
- Wool Socks: Merino wool socks are best for absorbing moisture your feet develop on a trek. You can tuck your trousers into your socks for further protection.
- Long-Sleeved Shirt: You will find that a Long-Sleeved shirt will make sense while trekking Chimpanzees on a regular Trek or the Chimpanzee Habituation Experience. It is for your protection, just like long trousers.
- Rain jacket with Hood or Poncho: You can put it into your Daypack and take it out when it rains.
- Hat: a wide-brimmed hat is best for sun protection.
- Sunglasses: Polarized Sunglasses are optional, shower many trekkers use them.
- Face Mask: Face Masks are required in the presence of a chimpanzee troop. They can catch respiratory diseases from Trekkers.
- Binoculars: Wear a good set of binoculars around your neck, and they will come in hands with chimpanzees, other primates, and birds. Read more about binoculars here.
- Camera in a pouch: If you want great pictures, use a camera. Using a smartphone or handy, as Germans call it, will not do the job. It would help if you had a good camera with some zoom. You can wear a camera pouch to keep the camera handy when required. Read more about chimp photography here.
Wear Insect Repellent for Chimpanzee Trekking:
You are in the Tropics, the Heart of Africa – Uganda – Rwanda. Insects abound, and you do not have to worry about finding them; they will find you.
Time to protect yourself by Chimpanzee Trekking or an all-day Chimpanzee Habituation Experience Trek.
There are all kinds of insect repellents, and many of our clients come with what seems the best, especially in test after test, RID – made in Australia since 1956. If you live in the USA, you can buy it online.
Why do we recommend an insect repellent like the Australian RID Product? It works.
Read more about Rid Insect Repellent here.
More items for your protection:
Sunblock: Especially if you are insensitive and Doxycycline for malaria prevention. It is best to buy sunblock in your home country.
Lip Balm: Many trekkers wish they had it. It is readily available in Uganda at Pharmacies.
One Liter of Bottled Water: This is to keep you hydrated on the streak. We supply water to our clients.
Download your Chimpanzee Trekking Packing List
Download your Chimpanzee Trekking List
Here is a list of what you need to pack, things need to bring, and what you need to have on the Day of your chimpanzee trek. It will come in handy as you prepare for your chimpanzee Trek in the Pearl of Africa.
What to wear on a Chimpanzee Trek or Habituation Chimpanzee Experience in Uganda – If you have questions – contact us.