Our Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla Park
For the Serious Outdoor Enthusiast – the 5-Day Luxury Fly-In-Gorillas-Volcanoes-Golden Monkeys Adventure Safari
Our 5-Day Fly-In- Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla Park is perfect for Outdoor Enthusiasts who want more adventure in Uganda.
The Safari combines Gorilla and Golden Monkey trekking. A one-day Volcano Hike at various difficulty levels. A visit to the forest with the Batwa, who were the first to live here, plus another hike
You can extend this Safari by a day or two on the scenic Lake Mutanda, where you can paddle from island to island in a dugout canoe at the semi-luxe Chameleon Hill Lodge with its million-dollar view of Lake Mutanda and the Volcanoes.
Your base for the 5-Day Fly-In- Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla Park will be at the exclusive Mount Gahinga Lodge with its private trail to the park headquarters.
The Safari begins and ends in Entebbe. You Fly to Mgahinga Gorilla Park with Aerolink Safari Airlines. Incoming and outgoing Lodging in one of Entebbe’s comfortable upmarket Hotels can be included at your request.
Please Note: This 5-Day Fly-In- Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla can be done as a Value+, moderately priced Safari with Lodging at Lake Mutanda Lake Resort or Lake Mulehe Gorilla Lodge.
Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla Park Safari Highlights
- Gorilla Trekking: Trek the Gentle Giants on the sides of the Volcanoes. The $700 permit is included.
- Golden Monkey Trekking: Mgahinga Gorilla Park is the only place in Uganda where you can track the colorful endangered Golden Monkeys.
- Take the Batwa Trail: Here, you see the park through the eyes of its first people, the Indigenous Batwa. They have lived here for thousands of years.
- Day Volcano Climb: You can climb three volcanoes: Mount Gahinga – Mount Muhavura, and Mount Sabinyo. No special equipment is required.
- Porter Services: We include Porter Services and walking sticks for your Safari.
- Land-Cruiser Safari Vehicle: This is a private Safari, and you have a vehicle and driver-guide for your Safari.
Your 5-Day Fly-In- Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla in Detail:
Arrival at Entebbe International Airport
Welcome to Uganda, the Pearl of Africa, for your 5-Day Fly-In Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla Park.
We will meet and greet you at Entebbe International Airport and take you to your hotel.
Stay overnight at a luxury hotel that we arrange for you conveniently near the airport for an early flight to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest with Aerolink Safari Airline.
This is the quickest and most convenient way chosen by an increasing number of our clients, and the convenience outweighs the extra cost and will give you more time in and around Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
We can also arrange a day room or an overnight stay before your Flight out of Uganda. Entebbe International Airport Tourist Information.
Please Note: This Safari can be done by flying into Kigali, Rwanda, and taking the three-hour drive to Mgahinga Gorilla Park.
Day 1 – Fly to Mgahinga Gorilla Park
Your5-Day Fly-In- Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari in Mgahinga Gorilla begins. We will pick you up at your Entebbe area Hotel and take you to Entebbe International Airport to check in with Aerolink Airlines at 6 am for your Flight to the Kisoro Airport near Mgahinga Gorilla Park.
Aerolink uses a Cessna Grand Caravan for this Flight. Your Luggage weight limit is 15-Kilos. Wear your hiking gear for the Flight to reduce luggage weight.
The Flight to the town of Kisoro departs Entebbe at 7:00 am and arrives at 8:20 am in Kisoro. Your driver-guide will meet you there and take you to Mount Gahinga Lodge, your home for the next four nights. The drive time to Mount Gahinga Lodge from the airfield is one hour.
Alternative: Fly into Rwanda, where we will meet you and drive you to Mgahinga Gorilla Park. It is a scenic 3-hour Drive. Read more here:
Stay at Mount Gahinga Lodge:
You will feel if you choose to trek Gorillas in Mgahinga Gorilla Park, this is the Lodge for you. The Lodge will be where you stay for four nights enjoying the Hospitality and comfort of this one-of-a-kind Lodge.
It is located near the Park Headquarters with views of the Virunga Volcanoes and Lake Mutanda just from a scenic point of view; this Lodge is priceless.
The Cottages come with a cozy fireplace; it gets slightly nippy here at night, down to 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Luxury showers, a large bedroom with a sitting area, delightful food, and excellent service at a lower price since Mgahinga Gorilla Park is off the radar for many visitors to Uganda. Non-Premium Drinks are complimentary during your stay; one massage is also offered to guests.
New in July of 2018 is the new exclusive Banda – Cottage, now available for you to choose from.
Activity Choices offered to guests by Mount Gahinga:
- Kisozi Caldera Walk: Take the scenic Caldera Walk with a guide from Mount Gahinga Lodge.
- Batwa Heritage Trail: Here, you see how the first people of the forest lived in harmony with the Outdoor.
- Gahinga Bwatwa Village: The Batwa are conservation refugees, and they were evicted from Mgahinga Gorilla Park in 1991, where they had lived for thousands of years. The Lodge built the village and gave about 130 Batwa a dignified home.
- Relax and Chill Out: There is an extensive library where you can find a book to enjoy.
Meal Plan: Lunch – Dinner
Day 2- Gorilla Trekking
What Should I wear tracking Gorillas?
Here is practical advice about what to wear while Gorilla Trekking in Uganda. Often Trekkers are not dressed right for the occasion, which can spoil your day, and your focus might not be on the Gorillas but personal discomfort and misery. Wearing suitable clothing and footwear is about protection and not a fashion statement.
Gorilla Wear and Gear you will need:
- Daypack: Preferably a waterproof daypack, you can use it as a carry-on flying to Uganda. Pack all essentials inside the daypack.
- Hiking Boots: Make sure that they have good treads on them. You will need ankle support, something boots give you and give you reactions on muddy trails. Have a good pair of merino wool socks.
- Long Trouser: They will protect you from nettles and thorns. Tuck the trousers into your socks for added protection from ants.
- Long-Sleeved Shirt: Neutral in color. Again, this is for your comfort and protection.
- Rain Jacket or Poncho: Pack into your daypack. You never know when it will train. You are in an Afro-montane Rainforest.
- Tough Gardening Gloves: These protect your hands from thorns, nettles, and sharp branches.
- Wide Brimmed Hat: It gives you protection from the Sun.
- Camera Equipment – Binoculars: Ensure extra batteries and storage devices. Put them into Ziploc bags. Binoculars are not needed if you are not a birder.
- Packed Lunch and Bottled Water: You will need your packed lunch from the Lodge, and we will need two liters of bottled water which we supply you with.
- Insect Repellent – Sun Lotion – Sunglasses: We recommend the effective Australian RID Insect Repellent. Good Sun blocker cream and sunglasses.
- You will need a Porter and Walking Stick: The services of a porter free you on the often-difficult trail, and a local walking stick helps you and steadies you on the often-challenging path. We supply our clients with both and Facial Masks for the actual Gorilla Encounter.
Read more about Gorilla Gear and Wear here.
The Gorilla Trekking Encounter:
After Breakfast, you take the short trail to Park Headquarters. You have an orientation with the Rangers that will guide you on the Gorilla Trek.
We provide you with Porter Services, walking sticks, facial masks for the actual gorilla encounter, and bottled Water.
A moderate fitness level is recommended for your hike up the sides of the volcanoes.
The Trek itself is very similar to gorilla trekking in Rwanda, where Gorilla trekking takes place on the other side of the Volcanoes.
You will be in the presence for one hour. For your and the protection of the gorillas, there is the ten-meter rule and the wearing of face masks. No Gorilla has contracted COVID due to the protective measures that were put into place.
Gorilla Trekking is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most, and we do everything we know to make the day successful.
After the Gorilla Trek, most want to relax and think or talk with others about their trekking experience and meet with the Mountain Gorillas.
Meal Plan: Breakfast -Lunch – Dinner
Day – 3 Volcano Climb:
Breakfast and you will need a packed lunch, a day pack, snacks such as granola bars or dried fruit and nuts, and two liters of bottled Water. We provide you with a walking stick, bottled Water, and the services of a porter. Volcano Climb gear should include a waterproof daypack, boots, long trousers, a long-sleeved shirt, a rain jacket or cape, and a hat.
Here are the three Volcanoes you can climb in Mgahinga Gorilla Park:
Mount Gahinga (3,474 meters):
The word Gahinga means a pile of stones in English. You will see piles of rocks in the gardens and farms below Mount Gahinga that the people clear from their fields and put into collections at the edge of their fields.
Mount Gahinga is not a tiny stone, but being a neighbor to Mount Muhavura, it is a little brother.
Mount Gahinga takes about 6 hours round trip, which is the beautiful thing about all the volcanoes in Mgahinga Gorilla Park. – they are one-day climb-hikes
A porter can be used to assist you with your daypack. You should have enough bottled Water, snacks, and packed lunch. Always have a rain jacket on hand.
Mount Muhavura (4,127 meters):
Mount Muhavura is also called Mount Muhabura, which means the Guide because it is seen from far and wide and stands like a beacon, a reference point to those living in the area.
This cone-shaped Volcano rising above the other two in Uganda gives some of the best views. The scenic views take in the Virunga Volcanoes, Lake Edward and Lake George in Queen Elizabeth Park, Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, and the Rwenzori Mountains.
This is the tallest Volcano at 4,127 meters above sea level, and it is no wonder it is called “the Guide.” In 2019 a seven-year-old Uganda climbed it with his father. Meaning the climb is doable for most who are in reasonable Shape.
Mount Sabinyo (3,645 meters):
Mount Sabinyo (Sabyinyo) is also called “Old Man’s Teeth.” That is because it’s jagged like an older man’s teeth might be. Mount Sabinyo’s top has become jagged and eroded over time, and the elements have. There are three challenging peaks – the views are well worth it; for most, it is merely a fantastic Climb with incredible Views on a clear day.
A moderate level of fitness or better is required. Once you reach the final peak, you can step into the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, and back into Uganda without your passport being stamped by any of those countries.
The Volcano can only be climbed from the Ugandan side, not in Rwanda or DR Congo. Ladders fastened to the mountain allow you to traverse some tight on the hike.
Mount Sabinyo is my favorite Hike -Climb. It is the longest climb, with eight hours needed to complete it. There are three peaks that you scale climbing it. Most Hike-Climbs are over by 5 pm.
Meal Plan: Breakfast -Lunch – Dinner
Day- 4 – The Batwa Trail or Golden Monkey Trekking- Your Choice?
Choose between Golden Monkey Trekking or the Batwa Cultural Trail.
This is with the original people of the forest. The Batwa Pygmies have lived in this area for thousands of years, leaving a low ecological footprint, only taking what they needed to live on. They gathered medicinal herbs, roots, berries, and fruit, hunted to survive, and lived in small shelters.
Today you learn of their ancient ways as they lead you into the forest and show you how they once lived before they were evicted from the woods in 1991
The Batwa Trail is also one way to keep the traditional cultural methods alive for the next generation. The walk also produces needed income for the Batwa Community in the area, and then there are generous tips left by Visitors with them,
The trail ends up in the Garama Cave, where you hear the mournful cries of the women as they lament what has been lost.
Golden Monkey Trekking:
Mgahinga Gorilla Park is home to about 3,000 endangered Golden Monkeys. The Golden Monkeys only reside in the Virunga Massif, and the park is part of that.
This guided Trek with rangers is similar to the Gorilla Trek in that you visit a habituated group of Golden Monkeys.
There will be about 100 Golden Monkeys in the Group. You will hear them before you see them; they are active and all around you. You will see them above you and on your sides.
The Golden Monkeys live in the Bamboo Forest Zones of the Virunga Volcanoes. The Trek is about four hours long.
You can relax in the Afternoon or do one of the activities offered by the Lodge.
Instead of Golden Monkey Trekking, you can do the more extended Golden Monkey Habituation Experience.
Meal Plan: Breakfast -Lunch – Dinner
Day 5 – Fly to Entebbe from Kisoro
You are off to Kisoro Airport. Your Aerolink Flight will take you to Entebbe, where you will arrive at 11:30 am.
Meal Plan: Breakfast
The Perfect Add-On to this Safari:
We suggest you add to this Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari: Relax, Chill Out, and Unwind at Chameleon Hill Lodge overlooking Lake Mutanda and the Virunga Volcanoes. This is a luxury lodge with a million-dollar view and the third-best “Must Photograph” place in the World. This is the perfect setting for a night or two of relaxation before flying out of Kigali, which is only a short drive of 2-hours plus from here.
Chameleon Hill Lodge is like a colorful Fairy Tale Castle overlooking the Lake. Each cottage has an unobstructed view of the Lake, the islands, and the volcanoes. The food is excellent, the beer and soda are cold, and the idea is breathtaking.
Our client wrote that Lake Mutanda was the most beautiful Lake he had ever seen. He was a World Traveler and a discerning one at that.
A day or two at Chameleon Hill Lodge will help you to wind down after this 5-day Adrenaline Pumping Adventure in Mgahinga Gorilla Park.
What is included in your 5-Day Fly-In Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari?
- Experienced Ugandan Driver-Guide: A Safari becomes more enjoyable with a knowledgeable and professional Local Driver-Guide.
- Greet and Meet at Airport upon arrival: We provide meet and greet services, including a welcome gift and Safari Informational Packet.
- Full-Board Lodging: All meals are included except alcoholic drinks, sodas, and snacks that you might order apart from meals. Some luxury Lodges have non-premium alcoholic beverages and sodas.
- Private 4×4 Land Cruiser Safari Vehicle with pop-Up Roof: The vehicle has a car fridge, WiFi, and bottled Water.
- Gorilla Trekking: Gorilla Trekking Permits are included in your Safari. We also provide porter services, a walking stick for support, and bottled Water. Read our Practical Gorilla Trekking Advice:
- WiFi Internet Access: Most Lodges only provide a WiFi Internet Connection in the main Lodge. We offer you a MiFi Router that gives you and your party access to the internet in your cottage or room, depending on nearby transmission towers. Read Staying in touch with
- Your Dietary Needs can be met: Notify us if you are a vegan, vegetarian, or need a gluten-free diet. Halala dietary requirements can be completed in most instances. Strictly kosher nutritional requirements cannot be met on Safari. a.
- ; Automatic AMREF-Flying Doctors Air-Medivac Insurance coverage: Our clients have covered a rare need for medical evacuation to a hospital that meets international standards.
I have not included: Visas, Travel Insurance, Tips, drinks at lodges such as Alcoholic drinks and sodas, and optional activities.
Enquire now about this 5-Day Fly-In Luxury Outdoor Enthusiast Adventure Safari:
Use the form below: