Safety and Security Advice using an ATM in Uganda
Things to look out for a while Using an ATM Machine in Uganda – Rwanda
Using an ATMMachine in Uganda: 99.9% of the time, there are no problems using your Debit or Credit Card to withdraw cash from your account while visiting Uganda. In the last few years, there has been an increasing number of times where money has been stolen from various reports, including visitors to Uganda using an ATM Machine in Kampala or other towns in Uganda.
Here is some simple advice to help you keep your ATM transaction safe and secure. To begin with, ATM Machines are usually in an enclosed room – there are exceptions, such as in the airport, shopping malls, and hotels.
There are also armed security guards near the entrance to the ATM room, or if in the open, they will be near the ATM. That is for your protection and that you are not robbed after withdrawing the money.
ATMs are all over the country, shopping centers, and now even bars – that is the last place to use one since people can see you withdraw what may be massive amounts of cash. If you want to go to a bar, have money with you, and do not use the ATM.
Using an ATM Machine in Uganda – ATM Advice and Tips
- Know what is in your bank account – know your balance – you can check it online before and after, and it will be in your country’s currency.
- While in Uganda – give no one else your PIN – memorize and do not write it down where someone else can find it with the PIN written down on that paper.
- When entering an ATM area – there are many in Uganda – even before, you ensure no one else is there. Shield the hand with which you enter the PIN on the number pad. In case potential thieves have installed a camera (often in cooperation with bank or security personnel).
- Ensure the card slot is within the machine and does not protrude as if someone attached something.
- Report it to the bank or security if you notice something unusual.
- Do not accept any help from anyone while using the machine – sometimes predators hang out and look for someone needing help. They slickly change cards, remember your PIN, and drain your account.
- If the ATM eats your card – do not panic – go into the bank and report it. The next day, come back with your passport, and you will get your card back from the bank.
- Money paid will be either in Uganda Shillings or not in US dollars.
Using an ATM Machine in Uganda – If you are coming to Uganda or Rwanda – the ATMs are the quickest way to get money out of the bank. Please remember that VISA cards are the preferred cards. Using ATMs is best since you do not have to carry substantial amounts of cash with you but can withdraw what you need…most visitors have no problems – the above is simply for an added security layer of security…just in case.