The Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest – Uganda
Only in Uganda – 4 Hours with a Gorilla Family on an All-Day Gorilla Habituation ExperienceTrek
The one-of-a-kind Gorilla Habituation Experience where you are able to spend 4-hours with a Gorilla Family plus the time it takes to and from the location where the Gorilla Group is making it an all-day Trek in the Rushaga – Nkuringo area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
The Gorilla Habituation Trailhead is in a different spot than at the normal Park entrances of Rushaga or Nkuringo – Drive time from Nkuringo is 45 minutes and less from Rushaga.
The Cost for a Permit for the Gorilla Habituation Experience is 1,500 USD, 900 USD more than the cost for a normal trekking permit which allows you to be 1-Hour with a Gorilla Group.
Only 4 Visitors are allowed per day compared to 8 for a normal Gorilla Trek and there are only 2 Groups that can be visited for this activity.
One thing is certain, the Habituation Experience is a one of a kind, exclusive Activity in which only a select few can participate in. It is also a learning experience where you receive firsthand insights from the researchers, trackers, rangers, conservationist, who are all part of the Habituation Process Team.
This incredible Experience with the Mountain Gorillas must be booked well in Advance since there are only 4 visitors per group allowed. This is unlike a normal Gorilla Trek where you have 8 participants and are only one hour with a gorilla family.
If you like to be with the Gorillas for 4 hours – Book the Gorilla Habituation Experience with Kabiza Wilderness Safaris, Uganda’s Leading Gorilla Habituation Experience Tour Operator at least 6 months ahead, especially if you plan to come during the Peak Seasons which are from July through October and December through March of the year because of the limited number of permits that are available unlike normal Gorilla Trekking.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience in Rushaga was featured in “the National Newspaper” in Dubai – United Arab Emirates and we were the Tour Operator of Choice for Gorilla Habituation Safaris as we are for many others since 60% plus of our Clients are choosing the Gorilla Habituation over the one hour with a Gorilla Family normal Trek.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience in the Rushaga Area – Bwindi Forest in Uganda can presently be booked in Uganda for 2018. We suggest that you book the experience at least 6 months in advance to assure your spot on this one of a kind exclusive experience since with only 4 Permits with each of the Two Groups Space is limited.
( We have gotten permits just a few days away, but because of the normal scarcity we suggest booking 6 months in advance.)
The Gorilla Habituation Experience can only be done in Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in the Rushaga Area and is not available in Rwanda, or the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We can drive you to Rushaga-Nkuringo from Kampala, fly in from Entebbe – Uganda with Aerolink Airlines to Kisoro, or Fly into Kigali, Rwanda and take the short 3 1/2-hour plus hour drive with us to Rushaga for the Habituation Experience Trek.
If you are planning a longer safari in Uganda and were planning to trek Gorillas, we can change any Gorilla Trekking Safari into a Habituation Experience Safari where you are for 4-Hours with a Gorilla Family.
Where does the Habituation Experience Take Place in Uganda?
- In 2018 – The Habituation Experience takes place only in the Rushaga – Nkuringo area of southern Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda.
- You cannot do the Gorilla Habituation in any other part of the park but the Rushaga – Nkuringo area and that only in Uganda.
- In regards to Gorilla Lodges – allow us to suggest one that is closer to the Activity in the Rushaga Area.
- You are for four hours with the Mountain Gorillas instead of one. Your day starts at 7:30 AM at the Gorilla Habituation Trailhead and you return in the late Afternoon. Your day begins with a briefing from the Uganda Wildlife Authority Staff and the Research – Habituation Team.
- There are two Groups being habituated in 2017 and they are the Bikingi (Bikyingi) and Bushaho Groups. The group you will be with is selected with your input on the day of the Habituation.
- The Habituation Experience is limited to 4 participants per group compared with 8 for normal Gorilla Trekking.
- 4 hours with a Gorilla Family being habituated instead of 1 hour. Add to the 4-hour the Trek in and out and you have a full day.
- The same Requirement, Rules, and Regulations for Gorilla Trekking Visits apply to the Habituation Experience.
- In regards as to what to wear on a Gorilla Habituation Experience – the same clothing as for Gorilla Trekking. In regards to Bottle water, have our driver-guide arrange for 3 liters of Water. In selecting your clothing, keep in mind that you will be the Forest the whole day and not just 3-5 hours as for a Gorilla Trek.
- Price for the Gorilla Habituation Permit is 1500 USD per person for four hours with the Mountain Gorillas compared to 600 USD for a Trek Permit allowing you 1 hour with a Family. Please do remember that one hour with a Gorilla Family is 1,500 USD for the Permit – in Uganda, you have 4-Hours with a Gorilla Family Family.
How do I book a Gorilla Habituation Permit? – It is Best to allow Kabiza Wilderness Safaris to do as part of your Safari Booking with us.
- Minimum Age of 15 applies as it does for normal Trekking in Uganda.
- We will book your Gorilla Habituation Experience – Rushaga Area – Bwindi Forest at 1,500 USD as part of the Safari you have chosen with us. We will let you know within one working day as to the availability of the Gorilla Habituation Permit.
- Bookings for the Gorilla Habituation Experience Permits must be done well in advance due to the limited number of participants (4) allowed each day and the interest in the activity by Visitors to Uganda. Habituation Experience Permits are automatically included in your safari with us.
- Passport information (scan) is required for the permit as it is for Trekking.
- The Permit Cost of 1500 USD includes the Park Entrance Fee for the day.
We are simply amazed by the wrong information about the Habituation Experience that found both on the Internet and in print. Even the esteemed Bradt Guide in its latest addition states that 6 participants per group are allowed when the number has 4 since it was a Pilot and Test program back in 2015 and 2016.
Add to that Forums on TripAdvisor where at times the Blind lead the Blind with misinformation including Tour Operators attempting to sell Safaris. We have put together more information on the Habituation Experience than anyone else based on questions we receive from our clients and the experiences we have had. After all, we live and work here and Safaris are our Passion.
We have put together the information you need to know about the Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda. Along with helpful tips and advice based on our experience and comments from our clients who have gone on a Habituation Experience. This information is not stale or outdated but reflects any changes should they occur.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience in the Rushaga area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest is still big unknown to most and our Informational Page removes the misconceptions you might have about the Experience. If your questions are not answered – please contact us and we will be glad to be of help.
It is only in Uganda where you can go on a Mountain Gorilla Habituation Safari and that presently with is with two gorilla groups being habituated in the Rushaga area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda.
The good news is that you can easily access Rushaga not only from points in Uganda but you can do so taking a short drive from Kigali to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest – Rushaga Area.
Gorilla Habituation Experience Safaris can be any safari that now includes Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. We can adjust the safari to include the Habituation Experience – depending on permit availability which is quite limited compared to normal Trekking.
What we have learned as a Safari Tour Operator with the Habituation Experience:
The Habituation Experience has been a great new addition by Uganda Wildlife Authority. From the beginning of the Gorilla Habituation Experience being offered, we took Clients for their own personal Up-close Gorilla encounter.
Our Clients, who have participated in the Gorilla Habituation have loved it. Most of our Clients have chosen to fly into Kigali and then with us cross into Uganda.
Kabiza Wilderness Safaris has become the leading Gorilla Habituation Experience Tour Operator (most permit Sales) offering clients this one of a kind rare experiences not offered anywhere else. Being with a Gorilla Family for four hours on an all-day trek cannot be done in Rwanda or the Democratic Republic of Congo but only in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda. This experiential adventure in the Rushaga – Nkuriongo Area is simply the best.
Be sure to read up on our Gorilla Photography Tips.
If you like us to include the Experiential Gorilla Habituation Experience in the Rushaga Area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda in your safari with us – please let us know.