The Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest – Uganda
Only in Uganda – 4 Hours with a Gorilla Family on an All-Day Gorilla Habituation Experience Trek 2019 -only 4 permits per day
The Main Reason that the Gorilla Habituation Experience has become so popular since its inception is that Gorilla Trekkers have more Time with the Great Apes in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. That more time is the primary reason that over 60% of our Clients choose the Habituation Experience,
The one-of-a-kind Gorilla Habituation Experience where you are able to spend 4-hours with a Gorilla Family plus the time it takes to and from the location where the Gorilla Group is making it an all-day Trek in the Rushaga – Nkuringo area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
The Gorilla Habituation Trailhead is in a different spot than the normal Park entrances of Rushaga or Nkuringo – Drive time from Nkuringo is 45 minutes and less from Rushaga.
The Cost of a Permit for the Gorilla Habituation Experience is 1,500 USD, 900 USD more than the cost for a normal trekking permit which allows you to be 1-Hour with a Gorilla Group.
Only 4 Visitors are allowed per day compared to 8 for a normal Gorilla Trek and there is
One thing is certain, the Habituation Experience is a one of a kind, exclusive Activity in which only a select few can take part in. It is also a learning experience where you receive firsthand insights from the researchers, trackers, rangers, conservationist, who are all part of the Habituation Process Team.
This incredible Experience with the Mountain Gorillas must be booked well in Advance since there are only 4 visitors per group allowed. This is unlike a normal Gorilla Trek where you have 8 participants and are only one hour with a gorilla family.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience differs from the normal trekking in that you are an active participant in the actual process of habituation. On a normal gorilla Trek, one is an observer and takes pictures, on a Gorilla Habituation one participates and 99% plus of our clients love it.
If you like to be with the Gorillas for 4 hours – Book the Gorilla Habituation Experience with Kabiza Wilderness Safaris, Uganda’s Leading Gorilla Habituation Experience Tour Operator at least 6 months ahead, especially if you plan to come during the Peak Seasons which are from July through October and December through March of the year because of the limited number of permits that are available unlike normal Gorilla Trekking.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience Advantages:
- More Time with the Mountain Gorillas
- You become a participant in the Habituation Process, not just an observer like on a Gorilla Trek.
- All-Day Gorilla Trek
- Fewer Fellow Trekkers – Half the Participants that on a normal Gorilla Trek – 4
- Better Photo Opportunities
- Exclusive Activity
- Learn the Habits and Ways of the Mountain Gorillas with Researchers & Rangers
- You are a participant in the Habituation Process
- Lowest Cost Per Hour Visit
- Close to Kigali – Rwanda – 4-Hour Drive Time
- Value Priced midrange – Upmarket – luxury – Exclusive Lodging Choices
- Gorilla+ Add-Ons to your Gorilla Habituation Safari
The Gorilla Habituation Experience in Rushaga was featured in “the National Newspaper” in Dubai – United Arab Emirates and we were the Tour Operator of Choice for Gorilla Habituation Safaris as we are for many others since 60% plus of our Clients are choosing the Gorilla Habituation over the one hour with a Gorilla Family normal Trek.
“The Gorilla Habituation is not for everyone. You are not just an observer, someone taking pictures of the Gentle Giants of the Forest like a Gorilla Trek -During the Habituation Experience you are an active Participant in the Habituation process.”
The Gorilla Habituation Experience in the Rushaga Area – Bwindi Forest in Uganda can be booked in Uganda for 2018 and 2019. We suggest that you book the experience at least 6 months in advance to assure your spot on this one of a kind exclusive experience since with only 4 Permits Space is limited.
( While we have gotten permits just a few days away, but because of the normal scarcity we suggest booking 6-months ahead.)
The Gorilla Habituation Experience can only be done in Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in the Rushaga Area and is not available in Rwanda, or the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We can drive you to Rushaga-Nkuringo from Kampala, fly in from Entebbe – Uganda with Aerolink Airlines to Kisoro, or Fly into Kigali, Rwanda and take the short 4 hours plus hour drive with us to Rushaga for the Habituation Experience Trek.
If you are planning a longer safari in Uganda and were planning to trek Gorillas, we can change any Gorilla Trekking Safari into a Habituation Experience Safari where you are for 4-Hours with a Gorilla Family.
Where does the Habituation Experience Take Place in Uganda?
- In 2018-2019 – The Habituation Experience takes place only in the Rushaga – Nkuringo area of southern Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda.
- You cannot do the Gorilla Habituation in any other part of the park but the Rushaga – Nkuringo area and that only in Uganda.
- In regards to Gorilla Lodges – allow us to suggest one that is closer to the Activity in the Rushaga Area.
- You are for four hours with the Mountain Gorillas instead of one. Your day starts at 7:30 AM at the Gorilla Habituation Trailhead and you return in the late Afternoon. Your day begins with a briefing from the Uganda Wildlife Authority Staff and the Research – Habituation Team.
- There are is one Group being habituated in late 2018 and that is the Bikingi (Bikyingi) Group.
- The Habituation Experience is limited to 4 participants per group compared with 8 for normal Gorilla Trekking.
- 4 hours with a Gorilla Family being habituated instead of 1 hour. Add to the 4-hour the Trek in and out and you have a full day.
- The same Requirement, Rules, and Regulations for Gorilla Trekking Visits apply to the Habituation Experience.
- In regards as to what to wear on a Gorilla Habituation Experience – the same clothing as for Gorilla Trekking. In regards to Bottle water, have our driver-guide arrange for 3 liters of Water. In selecting your clothing, keep in mind that you will be the Forest the day and not just 3-5 hours as for a Gorilla Trek.
- Price for the Gorilla Habituation Permit is 1,500 USD per person for four hours with the Mountain Gorillas compared to 600 USD for a Trek Permit allowing you 1 hour with a Family. Please do remember that one hour with a Gorilla Family is 1,500 USD for the Permit – in Uganda, you have 4-Hours with a Gorilla Family.
In 2018-2019 You have a choice, the Gorilla Habituation Experience that goes beyond the one hour with a Gorilla Family, even beyond the more expensive Twice-Gorilla Trekking where you have higher priced lodging Cost.
- Minimum Age of 15 applies as it does for normal Trekking in Uganda.
- We will book your Gorilla Habituation Experience – Rushaga Area – Bwindi Forest at 1,500 USD as part of the Safari you have chosen with us. We will let you know within one working day as to the availability of the Gorilla Habituation Permit.
- Bookings for the Gorilla Habituation Experience Permits must be done well in advance due to the limited number of participants (4) allowed each day and the interest in the activity by Visitors to Uganda. Habituation Experience Permits are automatically included in your safari with us.
- Passport information (scan) is required for the permit as it is for Trekking.
- The Permit Cost of 1500 USD includes the Park Entrance Fee for the day.
Book the Safari with Gorilla Habituation well ahead of your time in Uganda. Otherwise, you might have an itinerary but no permits.
We are simply amazed by the wrong information about the Habituation Experience that found both on the Internet and in print. Even the esteemed Bradt Guide in its latest addition states that 6 participants per group are allowed when the number has 4 since it was a Pilot and Test program back in 2015 and 2016.
Add to that Forums on TripAdvisor where at times the Blind lead the Blind with misinformation including Tour Operators attempting to sell Safaris. We have put together more information on the Habituation Experience than anyone else based on questions we receive from our clients and the experiences we have had. After all, we live and work here and Safaris are our Passion.
We have put together the information you need to know about the Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda. Along with helpful tips and advice based on our experience and comments from our clients who have gone on a Habituation Experience. This information is not stale or outdated but reflects any changes should they occur.
It is only in Uganda where you can go on a Mountain Gorilla Habituation Safari and that presently with is with two gorilla groups being habituated in the Rushaga area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda.
The good news is that you can easily access Rushaga not only from points in Uganda but you can do so taking a short drive from Kigali to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest – Rushaga Area.
Gorilla Habituation Experience Safaris can be any safari that now includes Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
We can adjust the safari to include the Habituation Experience – depending on permit availability which is quite limited compared to normal Trekking.
Please Note: Peak Season Months – June through September – December through March means limited permits and as people find out about the more time with a Gorilla Family, permits will even be in shorter supply. One reason we suggest booking at least 6 months ahead.
The Gorilla Habituation Experience – Our Take:
We are a Gorilla Tour Operator, we act as a facilitator, a sort of matchmaker. We set and arrange the date and the meeting, however, we do not control that takes place in your pre-arranged meeting, not even the rangers and trackers do that. You not in a controlled situation, you are in the wild, where sometimes things are predictably unpredictable.
You are visiting a gorilla family in their living room in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and what takes place is up to the gorillas. Our clients have called this experience, “the icing on the cake.” to their time on Safari in the Pearl of Africa.
2019 requires your flexiblity in planing this activity since there only 4 permits per day compared to 136 normal gorilla trekking permits – many times we have to inform potential clients – no more habidtuation permits. Plan ahead.
If you like us to include the Experiential Gorilla Habituation Experience in the Rushaga Area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda in your safari with us – please let us know.